Wednesday, March 12, 2014

A review of Frozen (The Artica Lights) by Kat Holmes



Sexy...heartbreaking at times...but wonderfully woven together at the end!

*****Five Stars

Description:

Brent Larkin came to Antarctica to study penguins. He didn’t come looking for either adventure or romance. But when a freak storm blows in and he loses his way, that’s exactly what he gets. Attacked by some bobbing lights, he suddenly finds himself in a wintry forest surrounded by men with swords pointed at him. The next thing he knows he’s in a dungeon and chained to the wall.

Awni is the queen of Artica, a land of eternal winter. The daughter of a god, Awni’s cursed to never know the touch of another. Her icy skin is death for anyone who dares to touch her flesh. But, when a mysterious stranger shows up in her lands, she finds herself drawn to him. Eager to learn about his world, she invites him to spend time with her only to be shocked when he touches her and doesn’t freeze to death.

But Artica is a land ruled by tradition. Though she longs to keep Brent with her, the laws of the land force her to send him home. But without him, both she and the land begin to suffer. Now, Awni is facing the same peril as one of her ancestors. And if she perishes like her ancestor did, all of Artica will pay the price. Can Brent, returned to his own world, somehow find his way back and save her before all is lost?

Review:

I love being immersed in an imaginary world, and I love a good story, and Kat Holmes delivers on both of these with Frozen (The Artica Lights). I'll be honest. I don't tend to read a lot of romance books. This isn't to say that Frozen is a straight-up romance piece, because it's not, but this element might have deterred me from reading the book back in the day. Fortunately, I am more open minded when it comes to reading nowadays, and I'm glad I gave this book a chance. Love stories seem to be a dime a dozen, but Frozen puts a unique spin on the traditional tale. I also have to admit that the sex scenes were hot! Kat knows how to stimulate all of your senses, making the reader feel like they're experiencing everything the characters are. Frozen is an emotional and beautifully written love tale. I have also read works by Kat's mother, L.J. Holmes, who is another fantastic writer. As a result, it's safe to say that talented writing runs in the family.


http://www.amazon.com/Frozen-The-Artica-Lights-Holmes-ebook/dp/B004XWQ78K/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1394542402&sr=8-20&keywords=kat+holmes

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful review. I am glad you liked Frozen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Kat. It was my pleasure.

      Delete
    2. I'm the mom...L.J. Holmes. I write, it's true, but I am in awe of Kat's creative mind. FROZEN was Kat's SECOND book published at Muse It Up Publishing. Her first THE LIGHTHOUSE, blew me away. I'm an avid Agatha Christie fan...the reason being, Dame Christie wove the clues to the identity of the murderer so well throughout the story you can't catch them until you reach the end, learn the identity of the murderer and go back and reread. The light bulb above your head is gonna "ding" with each clue you NOW see.

      That's how I reacted when reading Kat's THE LIGHTHOUSE.

      I get to read Kat's work as it's in progress...so I get to read it long before anyone else. Kat is an exacting researcher. The penguins Brent studies are the real penguins living in that part of the world. She leaves nothing to chance.

      Awni is an incredible, well developed character...so well developed I challenge you not to fall in love with her.

      Tichi, the god of Artica...I want a Tichi of my own. His love for his daughter Awni takes my frigid breath away.

      Brent...well he's a hero who gets put through his paces, and each one makes you want to snatch him up and keep him warm and protected...which is probably silly, since he's no milquetoast, as Artica and its Council of dotty old mouthpieces quickly learn.

      Elric...Awni's number one aid and surrogate flesh and blood father...well you're not sure what to think of him...hate him...commiserate with him...love him.

      Book Two in Kat's Artica Lights series...yep those Swirling Lights ARE important enough to the series it's actually NAMED after them...Book two is...

      REFLECTIONS OF ICE and OMG...Kat is growing into a richer story weaver. with every book she writes. You will LOVE book two...and since I am lucky enough to be reading book three as she writes it...OMG again!

      Great presentation and review Kevin...Great story Kat.

      Delete