Monday, February 3, 2014

Women in Horror Month - Review of Zom Alive: 2110 by Billie Sue Mosiman

****1/2 Stars

Before I get into my review, it should be noted (for future readers) that there aren't zombies in this story. By definition, zombies are the living dead or undead, but what we get from Billie Sue Mosiman is something different. Though they possess some similar traits, the Zoms--as they're called--are infected humans who are very much alive and still retain many of the qualities they had prior to becoming sick. They can think, speak, tell right from wrong, and even have sex (among other things). Since the zombie sub-genre is one of the most saturated markets in writing, Mosiman's unique spin is a good thing. While it reads like many other zombie and post-apocalyptic stories (humans fighting to survive), we get the perspective of a Zom as well. In fact, I became more emotionally attached to the Killer (Zom) than the three humans in this story. I also like how everything came together at the end. I felt the dialogue could have been a little stronger in places, and I did see some things coming before they actually happened, which is the only reason I'm not giving it five stars. It's damn near close, though, which is why I would rate it 4-1/2 stars.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R43EHMJMV5QGP/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00A61US32&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=



No comments:

Post a Comment